So it is nice to stumble upon an article on women's role in early flight. These women are mentioned:
- Sophie Blanchard, took over the balloon business from her husband's Jean-Pierre
- Andre Garnerin's niece
- Dolly Shepherd, a star of Buffalo Bill Cody's show
- Queen Margherita of Italy founded the Roman Aero Club in 1904, and Contessa Grace di Campello Della Spina was an enthusiastic member, calling ballooning the "sport of the gods."
- Mrs. Hart Berg, first woman passenger on a Wright Bros. plane
- Airplane pilots Blanche Scott, Bessica Raiche, Julia Clark, Harriet Quimby, Katherine Stinson, Bessie Coleman, Beryl Markham..
This is from "Women in Flight," a talk given January 20, 1999, by John H. Lienhard, Mechanical Engineering Department, University of Houston. jhl at uh.edu.